The Brass Lease
- Date of Brass:
- Coventry, St Mary's Hall
In addition to the thousands of monumental brasses in England and Wales that have survived the ravages of time, there are a small number of non-
Some can be found, often on the outside of the buildings, recording the foundation of schools and almshouses. Others are in churches, such as the one in Goldcliff church near Newport, Monmouthshire, recording the level of the great flood of 1606/7. Yet others are found in diverse locations, such as the brass attached to a house at Totnes, Devon, recording the erection of a conduit in 1607, and this month's brass, fixed in a civic building, which records the terms of a lease.
The brass lease records that John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, leased the manor of Cheylesmore to the mayor, bailiffs and commonalty of Coventry for eighty-
Cheylesmore had reverted to the Crown after the attainder and execution of the Duke of Northumberland, so it had been necessary for the Earl to obtain letters patent for the grant. The manor and park were to the south of the city centre and now form a suburb. The gatehouse of the manor survives.
The brass is in St Mary's Hall, a six-hundred-year-old Guildhall in Coventry, where it is set in a painted frame and secured to a wall. It is made of four pieces of brass joined together. In June 1963 it was taken down and the reverse examined. This reverse carried no engraving, despite the suspicious-looking joins at either side.
The brass, which has every appearance of having been engraved in London, has the date 1568 prominently engraved on a scroll below the central shield with the Royal arms of France Modern and England quarterly under the royal crown. However the stone screen on which the brass was set was not erected in St Mary's Hall until 1571.
To the left of the Royal arms are the arms of Robert, Earl of Leicester, and to the right, the arms of Coventry. Although the royal arms and those of Coventry now lack their heraldic colours, those of Robert Dudley retain the lead that represents argent, and the Dudley badges of a ragged staff that pepper the margins of the brass are also of lead.
Outside the inscription and the badges are Roman Doric columns that support further columns with decoration that would look more in place on monuments of the 1530s and 1540s but with Ionic capitals. Those capitals support a triple canopy of rounded arches decorated with a repetitive floral pattern also used on the bottom margin of the brass. Around the inscriptions are twisted rope borders often used on brasses at this date. The castellated pattern along the top of the brass can also be found on other brasses.
Copyright: Jon Bayliss
Thanks to David Griffith for the suggestion of this subject and for the photographs.
- © Monumental Brass Society (MBS) 2023
- Registered Charity No. 214336